Saturday, May 16, 2009

First Day in Nablus

Once arriving at the Project Hope office, situated uphill close to the city centre and the old city, I met with the centre director Hakim and filled the necessary paperwork out. I wandered around the centre looking at pictures of the refugee kids and posters of protests. After settling into the apartment, taking a long needed nap after 48 hours of travel, I met with the department head of the Faculty for Fine Arts at Najar University in Nablus. We arranged for another meeting with the Dean the next day to arrange the Graphic Novel course. I felt right at home, not really dealing with culture shock. I suspect this is because the people are so unbelievably friendly and welcoming. The centre and the apartment are both really large and well set up with desks and couches and fully equiped kitchens. All schools are going through exam period at the moment so until the end of the month I will be working with a Palestinian organization working on forming a new youth initiative to form a progressive parliament. I will be editing and drawing up some reports in English. During the afternoons I have been set up to teach in the refugee camps. After the meeting with Dr. Jaber from the university two of the other volunteers asked if I would like to go for 'cocktails' up the street at a local place for young people. With a confused look on my face I graciously accepted wondering how a Muslim society would have alcohol and how I would get out of drinking as I was still jetlagged. Amy (the Californian), Meaghan (Scott), two Palestinian volunteers, Ashraf and Hamza, and I walked up the hill to a cafe. I was pleased to find out that cocktails were the name for an ice-cream, yogurt and nut blend that came in a variety of flavours. The people here make such an effort to welcome you and chat in English. I couldn't help but find this to be a part of the good natured character of the society considering many have little access to an English speaking community to have regular practice. The main topic of conversation was the political situation ofcourse and many questions about Canada. I told them about the protests in Toronto and society's built for the liberation of Palestine and freedom from Nakba. He replied with "I love Canada" and an undescribable look on his face. After cocktails and many of my questions about staying in Nablus answered, I head off to bed.

1 comment:

  1. White liberal do-gooders going around the world interferring in the affairs of others, trying to 'make a difference' - it's absurd. Rebecca Cox is a hick trash who sucked too many arab dicks in calgary. It's too bad the IDF didn't pick her off like they did to that other busy body bitch.

    The fact of the matter is that arabs are worthless troglodytes that've been a bain to civilization, since that epileptic child-molester mohamed concocted his nonsense. Let the semite arabs and jews kill each other, who cares. If palestinians are inferior, they deserve to be exterminated for their weakness. That is the way of Nature - that is the way of the Sith.

    ReplyDelete